Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts
TWO YEARS IN A ROW!
WINNER! #1 CT Magnet School
2014 OUTSTANDING ARTS SCHOOL AWARD!
An Artistic and Academic Immersion
Students interested in the arts will find a professionally oriented, highly structured, and academically rigorous curriculum at the Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts. In addition to professional training in vocal and instrumental music, dance, theater, musical theater, creative writing, and visual arts, high school students learn about the history and criticism of the arts and the arts as a mechanism for social justice.
Interested in attending the Arts Academy? Learn about our Open Houses and application process on the Admissions Page.
To download documents like Program of Studies, Student Handbook and Parent Newsletter, visit Documents Page. Daily Student Announcements appear on News and Newsletters Page.
ENTERTAINMENT DESTINATION IN HARTFORD!
The Theater of the Performing Arts houses a 622-seat, state-of-the-art proscenium theater, a 120-seat flexible theater, classrooms and support spaces. Visit the Theater of Performing Arts Page for event calendar and details. Box Office: 860-757-6388
Check out our DAILY STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS that appear on the School Calendar & News Page.
CREC ARTS ACADEMY FUNDRAISER AT CHIPOTLE!
DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST VERION OF PARENT NEWSLETTER • OCTOBER 2014
SATURDAY ACADEMY STARTS OCTOBER 18.
AUDITIONS FOR SPRING PERFORMANCES
For all students who are interested in auditioning for any production this Spring, here are the steps you need to follow and all pertinent deadlines:
• All students, full and half day, must submit a copy of the last report card before auditioning. Students will not be allowed to audition without a report on file or if there are two D’s or more. The deadline to submit Report Cards is December 5. Students will find boxes on both campuses to submit report cards.
• Audition week for the spring productions will be held during the week of December 15. Students will find sign-up sheets on the call boards at both campuses.
• Casting notifications will be emailed to address on file on January 2. This date is in response to parents who did not want notification to happen until the holiday ended.
Notification comes by email:
- to make sure all students get notice at the same time
- students are at home and can process the results with family
- this is how notice comes in the professional setting
- Faculty, directors, and counselors will be available shortly after, the week of January 5th, for consult should students wish
• Rehearsals can begin as early as the week of January 5. The start date and rehearsal schedule will be given to each cast.
ARTS ACADEMY AT THE YOUTH LEADERSHIP SUMMIT
Arts Academy students are inspired and ready for action after attending the Youth Leadership Summit on Youth Voice and Positive School Climate that took place on October 14, 2014 at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford. Our students were given the opportunity to hear from various State Representatives, Senators, members of the Department of Education on the state and national level, numerous superintendents from districts across the state, and most importantly, other student leaders from several Connecticut high schools. Grammy Award Winning Lady Gaga's mother was also here, representing her daughter's foundation that celebrates diversity and empowers youth called "Born This Way." The six student leaders from our school also offered up excellent examples to those in attendance of how the Academy supports a positive school climate and encourages our students to take initiative and create positive for the school community and beyond. BRAVO to our students for participating in this learning opportunity and for representing the Arts Academy so wonderfully!
Colleges often visit the Arts Academy, offering information for our seniors about their schools.
Here are some of the colleges currently scheduled to visit the Academy for OCTOBER and NOVEMBER:
PROSPECTIVE STUDENT OPEN HOUSE
Interested in attending the Arts Academy? Attend one of the Open Houses for Prospective Students! All these Open Houses happen in the Main Theater Building at the Learning Corridor, 15 Vernon Street (at the corner of Washington Street.) Come 30 minutes early to meet and talk with Department Chairs (Dance, Creative Writing & Media, Music, Musical Theater, Theater and Visual Arts).
NOVEMBER 13 at 6 pm
DECEMBER 3 at 6 pm
JANUARY 20 at 6 pm
FEBRUARY 21 at 10 am (Saturday)
ARTS ACADEMY WINS OUTSTANDING ARTS SCHOOL AWARD!
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE CLASS OF 2014!
We are so proud of our graduates! Many of our new alumni will be attending colleges, conservatories and working in the region and across the country. Take a look at the COLLEGES LIST and the GRADUATION STATISTICS of merit awards and scholarships for the Class of 2014!
HELP MAKE THE ARTS ACADEMY EVEN BETTER!
PARENTS: please go to the link below and fill out the Parent Survey. It is a completely anonymous survey we will use to make changes to our school! CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY!
Thanks in advance for your participation!
Box Office: 860-757-6388